Basketball shoes play an integral part in a player’s overall performance. However, as there are so many options on the market, choosing the right one is not easy.
With Nike and Adidas dominating the shoe market, it has been challenging for other companies to compete. PUMA is in the process of challenging the superpowers, which they are doing by providing excellent quality and high-end features.
Many of the PUMA basketball shoes honor hall of fame legend Walt “Clyde” Frazier, who starred with the New York Knicks in the 1970s. A point guard, Frazier played in seven NBA All-Star Games and won two NBA Finals with the Knicks in 1970 and 1973.
This guide is going to break down such aspects and show you a few of the best PUMA basketball shoes.
Even though most PUMA sneakers are promoted for men, its flavorful color scheme makes it a great choice for all genders. In contrast, the winterized basketball shoe and mid casual sneaker are focused on male clientele. All three pairs below are reasonably affordable, making them great options for those on a budget.
- If you are looking for a high performance shoe, get PUMA Uproar – as wild and aggressive as the 90’s style that inspired it. Unlike the other basketball shoes, this one is a low-top that is considered to be more fashionable.
- If you are a point guard, PUMA Palace Guard Mid Sneaker is made for you. It’s a mid-top shoe with a design feature of a red accent stripe on both sides of the lower boot. The Puma logo in a gold background can be found at the top of the tongue under the laces.
- If you prefer a classic style, go for PUMA Men’s Sky II Hi Winterised which is 100% leather, has a rubber sole, and a velcro strap at the top of the laces. The strap enhances comfort, provides support, and increases fit.
Who Should Get This?
Finding the right shoe is essential for any sport. Though you can play well with the wrong footwear, getting high-quality sneakers truly advances your game.
Basketball is a very demanding game that is hard on the feet. Foot injuries are extremely common, which makes finding the right shoe a high priority.
It should be noted that the Puma basketball shoes are primarily for extremely active players who get out on the court a lot. If you are looking for shoes to wear outside of basketball, the following options may not be for you.
Best Puma Basketball Shoes: What to consider?
Shoes with premium leather tend to be durable, and that quality is extremely important when purchasing a shoe. You want footwear that will last for a reasonable period of time before it needs to be replaced.
Comfort is also key. Running up and down the hardwood floor can be very taxing on the feet. Good padding ensures you don’t experience any pain when playing the game. Support and protection are very important functions that must be taken into consideration when you buy a shoe. When a foot is supported inside the shoe, your muscles do not have to work as hard.
You should also consider shoes that have strong arch support. That protection reduces the chances of your feet over-pronating, which occurs when a foot moves toward the midline of your body. An insole may enhance comfort as well. That helps the feet stay locked into your shoe and lowers the chances of blisters.
Basketball shoes need to have good traction. Though hardwood provides a bit of natural feedback, not everyone plays in a gym. Many games take place outside during the warmer months of the year. Strong traction helps greatly during such games by ensuring you won’t slip or fall when running at full speed.
When it comes to buying a shoe, you need to take weather conditions into account. If you are interested in buying an indoor shoe that also does well in outside, we would go with the PUMA Men’s Clyde Core Mid Casual Sneaker.
Note that even though the shoe is labeled as a sneaker, it is for basketball use. If you are interested in buying a shoe for an outdoor pickup game in the fall or spring, we would go with the Sky II Hi Winterised Basketball Shoe.
Best Puma Basketball Shoes: Our Picks
This imported leather shoe has a rubber sole and nostalgic, retro style character with faded gradient design throughout upper and outsole. The IGNITE foam is able to offer superior cushioning and high energy return. The shoe has been praised for its comfort and durability, and it comes in a variety of sizes.
What we like:
- Full rubber outsole provides great traction.
- Laces go to the top of the shoe, which improves adjustability.
- Has a dynamic lacing system with TPU piece for added support.
What we don’t like:
- It rips off easily and cannot be replaced.
- Not be the best shoe for everyday use.
Boasted to be worn by a former Detroit Piston’s point guard who were 12-time NBA all-star, the Palace Guard is the most exciting basketball shoe among PUMA family. It is comfortable and creates great feedback no matter what surface you play on. Even though lavender is the promoted color, the shoe comes in a variety of colors and sizes. You can wear it to play on the court as well as for streetball.
What we like:
- High-quality materials create a great feel.
- Comfortable and cushioned.
- Very fashionable, with many style options.
What we don’t like:
- The mid-top style offers less ankle support than other similar basketball shoes.
This is a leather shoe with a velcro strap at the top. That feature creates great lockdown and helps protect your ankles from injuries. In addition, the rubber sole is durable and makes the footwear great on every surface. This is one of the best Puma shoes for indoor and outdoor use.
What we like:
- Hi-top increases ankle support.
- Strong durability.
- Multi-use. It can be used for hiking and construction work.
- Great both indoors and outdoors.
What we don’t like:
- Less fashionable than the PUMA Men’s Clyde Sneakers and does not have Walt “Clyde” Frazier’s signature.
- It can get hot and stuffy when playing outside in the summer.
Useful Tips and Resources
There are many ways to protect your basketball shoes. One of the most effective for those who play outdoors is to spray them waterproof detector. That will keep them from getting wet during the rainy months. It is also important to polish your shoes. Cleaning the inside prevents odors as well.
Immediately after using your shoes, take them off and store them in a room with plenty of airflows. This will prevent them from losing shape and increase their general longevity.
For more information on how to protect your shoes, go to the following video.
Your shoe plays a critical role in how well you run, jump, and cut out on the court. Footwear that provides comfort, traction and durability is a must for any serious player.
Do you have your own favorite PUMA basketball shoes? If so, let us know in the comments below.